Dyspareunia*, including Vulvar Vestibulodynia
An evidence-based physical therapy approach (or what do Sherlock and tomatoes have in common?) *painful intercourse
Why choose our courses?
scroll down to read why...
This course will examine, in an evidence-based approach, the presentation, pathophysiology, and physical therapy evaluation and interventions for dyspareunia through the life span, including, but not limited to, the most common cause for painful intercourse, vulvar vestibulodynia. Pain pathophysiology, EMG biofeedback, the impact of dyspareunia on relationships, sexual response, conception, and anxiety as well as evidence-informed specific treatments to address these concerns within a physiotherapy scope of practice will be included. Specific cognitive behavioral (CBT) and mindfulness techniques for use directly in physiotherapy treatment are also taught. A basic introductory pelvic floor course with instruction in vaginal exams is required. Courses in central and peripheral pain pathophysiology and treatment are an asset, but not mandatory. This course is open to Registered Physical Therapists and physical therapy students. The physiotherapist will leave the course with new skills to use immediately on return to their office the next day!
There will be a demonstration of a subjective and objective assessment and treatment with a client who has dyspareunia. If a patient cannot be found, an actor will represent a client. Objective assessment and initial treatment can be included if the patient is comfortable. Understandably, assessment and treatment interventions demonstrated will be dependent on patient presentation, ability and consent.* Course participants also participate in the lab/practical sessions. This may involve perineal, vaginal and/or rectal exam.
EMG biofeedback units will be available for each group of 2-3 physical therapists throughout the course for all lab sessions. Prior experience using biofeedback is not required. Learning this skill is another good reason to take this course!
*Dayan Werner Pelvic Rehab reserves the right to make changes to client participation prior to the course date.
This course is open to Registered Physical Therapists or physical therapy students who have completed a basic introductory pelvic floor course with instruction in internal exams.
Course Dates and Times
How to Register
Please open and print the PDF registration form.
April 6 - 8, 2018 (full attendance is required to receive course certificate)
Friday, April 6, 2018 3:30pm - 8:00pm
Saturday, April 7, 2018 8:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday, April 8, 2018 8:00am - 4:00pm
3200 Shelbourne St #100b
Victoria, BC V8P 5G8
Shelbourne Physiotherapy has free parking and is conveniently located across the street from Hillside Centre, which boasts a large selection of food options including a grocery store.
- EARLYBIRD REGISTRATION $550 + 5% GST ($577.50) available until January 31, 2018
- $600 + 5% GST ($630) on or after February 1, 2018
- $1100 + 5% GST ($1155) if register for 2 courses ($100 savings, $50 per course!)
- $1500 + 5% GST ($1575) if register for 3 courses ($300 savings, $100 per course!)
Physical Therapy Students:
- $540 + 5% GST ($567)
- Student tuition will be limited to 5 registrants
- Confirmation of active enrolment in a physical therapy program is required
Why choose our courses?
- No passive techniques
- Emphasis on education and active treatment
- Learn to differentiate between motor control and strength issues
- Understand the value of skilled EMG biofeedback use (for pelvic floor courses)
- Get practical experience using EMG and Real-Time Ultrasound Imaging biofeedback in small groups
- Recognize when estrogen, corticosteroids, and pain medications may or may not be helpful and how to have this discussion with physicians
- Develop critical thinking skills in the assessment and treatment components of the course. We want all course participants to receive an honorary Sherlock Holmes Degree! Return to the clinic the next day with the ability to critically analyze your subjective and objective findings. There is no recipe. Every question you ask and intervention you give needs to have a purpose based on your critical analysis and thinking. If you don’t understand during the course - Question us! Challenge us!
- Explore concepts of hypertonicity and increased tone in voluntary muscles with no neurological damage
- 1/2 day shadow OR 1-hour scheduled phone/FaceTime or Skype consult with course instructor within 3 months of course completion
- Evidence-based treatments for muscle strength and endurance gains
Pain Condition Courses:
- Direct application of mindfulness and CBT skills into physiotherapy interventions
- Evidence-based intervention for pain conditions
- Education on the evolution of male and female sexual response theories
- Education on current female and male sexual response theories and how to directly apply this information to physiotherapy scope of practice interventions
Snacks + Refreshments
Light snacks and beverages during AM and PM breaks will be provided. Lunch is the responsibility of the participant. Transportation, accommodation, and any other incidentals resulting from attending this course are the sole responsibility of the participant.
Course tuition is non-refundable unless the following criteria are met:
- 100% reimbursement less an administration fee of $75.00 is given if written notice is provided by March 2, 2018.
- 50% reimbursement less an administration fee of $75.00 is given if written notice is provided by March 16, 2018.
- No reimbursement will be provided if cancelled on or after March 17, 2018. However, if you would like to sell your spot to another Registered Physiotherapist or physical therapy student then you may do so. Coordinating of payment is the sole responsibility of the participant (the Seller) and the selling price must be the exact price paid to Dayan Werner Pelvic Rehab or less (i.e. seats in the course may not be sold for more than the participant paid). The original participant (the Seller) must notify Dayan Werner Pelvic Rehab of the sale and provide contact details for the new participant (the Purchaser; i.e. full name, phone number, and email address). Dayan Werner Pelvic Rehab has no liability in this interaction and transaction.
- For cancellation of a course purchased with a multi-course deal: Please contact Dayan Werner Pelvic Rehab for confirmation of the amount to be reimbursed. The amount reimbursed will depend on when you are canceling (i.e. within the 100% reimbursement timeframe, or the 50% reimbursement timeframe) and the amount you paid (i.e. 2-course or 3-course pricing). In all cases, the reimbursement will be calculated as follows: (1) the amount paid (2) less the full fee for the course(s) the participant has already taken or will be taking (3) less GST and (4) less a $75 administration fee.
Course organizers reserve the right to cancel the course if the minimum number of participants is not reached by March 18, 2018. If the course is cancelled full tuition will be reimbursed. All other costs incurred by a course registrant remain the full responsibility of the course registrant.
How to Register
Please open and print the PDF registration form.
Marcy Dayan is a registered physiotherapist and is a designated Clinical Specialist in Women’s Health with expertise in the management and treatment of both female and male bladder and bowel control, vaginal/genital/rectal pain, diastasis abdominus and perinatal low back, SIJ and symphysis pubis dysfunction and pain.
Since graduating from UBC with a Bachelor’s Degree in Physiotherapy in 1984, Marcy has completed postgraduate courses in incontinence, pain, sexual health and counseling, pelvic dysfunction and orthopaedics. She has also completed a Master of Health Administration from the University of British Columbia. Active in clinical practice, teaching and research, Marcy works in private practice at Dayan Physiotherapy and Pelvic Floor Clinic as well as in public practice at the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority’s Prostate Cancer Supportive Care program and the Multidisciplinary Vulvodynia Program. She is a clinical faculty member and lecturer on urogenital pathophysiology in the Master of Physiotherapy program at the University of British Columbia.
When not at work, you can find Marcy spending time with her family, cycling, kayaking or at her torch making glass beads, wonky wine goblets and silver and glass jewelry and sculpture.
Laura Werner has been practicing since 2010 as a Registered Physiotherapist with specific training in the management and treatment of pelvic floor, abdominal, uro-gynecological and lumbopelvic dysfunctions. Her passion for pelvic health physiotherapy was ignited during her women’s health practicum placement in her master’s program. Post-graduation Laura sought out the training of Marcy Dayan, a highly sought leader and teacher in the field of pelvic health. After intensive mentoring Laura was invited to join Marcy’s practice, the highly regarded Dayan Physiotherapy and Pelvic Floor Clinic, where she remained for over 5 years. During this time Laura has also worked at the Multidisciplinary Vulvodynia Program at Vancouver General Hospital. Laura relocated to beautiful Vancouver Island in July 2015 where she established her practice and has become a mainstay for pelvic floor and abdominal rehabilitation.